Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Selection for Jury Duty

Shalom.

I was called to the CJC (criminal justice center) at 1301 Filbert Street, to participate in the juror selection process. I reported on Tuesday at 8:15am. I arrived on time, after purchasing my coffee (two guesses as to the brand) and a pretzel braid/twist. I remember the previous times I was called to participate in this interesting process. The very first time I was picked for a trial I had to be sequestered because of the nature of the trial. I was placed in a hotel down by the Philadelphia airport with no access to television and telephones, for good reason. As a juror, I could not be contaminated with any information outside what was presented during the trial. Let me tell you, that was a very strange experience. I was still living at home and wasn't even dating the woman that would eventually become my wife. Myself and the other jurors must have spent at least three days in the hotel. We traveled on a van together. We went in a special juror entrance at the CJC. I ate pretty good during that time. I remember ordering chicken parmigiana dishes from the local eating establishment. (Thank you to all those people that were paying their Philadelphia taxes.) The trial involved a homicide. And we eventually had to determine the punishment for the crime. I do not recall what verdict was reached. It was an interesting time and I think I did not want to experience it again. I don't believe I cared for the time away from my family. I had not researched the selection process and did not know when I would be selected again, if at all.

Well, it came to pass that I was chosen again to participate. This time, I was chosen for a potential panel, however, the case never went to trial because I think some agreement was reached even before the juror selection process had gotten under way. So, I was sent back down to the pool to wait for another assignment. As God would have it, I was not reassigned and so I went home. Praise God! I would go about my daily life until the next time my number came up to serve.

Well, in 2008, my number came up. And it is funny, because my wife was called to serve the next day after me. Well, I reported to the CJC, and it was crowded that day. I saw all the people and wondered what am I going to encounter today. There was a long line to check your cell phone in and then another long line to get through the metal detectors. There were all kinds of people there. I forget just how diverse (economically, racially and socially) our city is. There were people busting in line. Someone busted in front of me and I did not say a word. Was I scared? Perhaps. Did it really matter that someone didn't wait in the long lines like everyone else? Perhaps. Was I jealous that I didn't have the guts [ignorance, callousness] to do the same thing? Perhaps. At any rate, I made it through the metal detector after removing my belt, coat and wallet. Then I needed to wait in another line to enter the juror waiting room. I obtained the necessary paperwork and entered the room. I searched for a seat, as there were plenty of people already in the room and seated. It seems there are others in the city that are punctual. I was hoping I would spend the entire day in the waiting room and then be sent home. No dice. I was selected as part of a group of 60 people. We were destined for the seventh floor, however, we made a fews stops along the way; and we all traveled as a group. The group was a rather unique mix of people. It is amazing how God made all these people and NONE of us look alike. There are no two black people, white people, Asian people, etc. that look alike. That is some serious creativity when you make all these people and no two are the same. You might think would have been tired and caused a certain number of people born in Philly on a Tuesday to have the same nose size and dimension, but everything else is different. No, God made everyone of us so unique, right down to our finger prints. That is a lot of finger prints. But I digress.

We were given some information about the judge and what to tell the judge concerning conflicts between our life and the prospect of serving as a juror. We were then brought before the judge, the defendant, and the lawyers. We were given some background information about the case, some information about legalese and then were asked a series of questions. I did not answer in the affirmative to the questions. They were questions that would determine, rather quickly, if I would be usable for the trial. They even asked if we knew anyone involved in the case, and if we did, would we be able to be fair in reaching a verdict. I did not know anyone involved in the case. There was a question about hardships -- meaning any circumstances that might prevent me from being able to serve as a juror. There were some interesting answers to that question. I told the judge my hardship was that I did not get paid for jury duty and that I had a paid vacation in March. The judge wanted to know what kind of company I worked for that did not pay me for jury duty. I gave him an answer and he said he would call my job later to confirm. (I checked later that night, since I had to return the next day, and I found out that my job pays me, minus what I make from serving. After learning this information, being a juror didn't seem so bad, especially if my vacation plans were not going to be interrupted.) They did not finish the interviews, and unfortunately, they kept us there until 5pm. They informed us that we had to return to the CJC the following day at nine o'clock in the morning. It was long day, but I did not complain to anyone or myself. We all did not want to be in that position and we were tired of the sitting around and waiting.

Since my wife was to report on that day, I rode the subway with her to the CJC. That was a nice time. I felt very proud that day, let me tell you! I made a few mistimed comments during the travel, but otherwise, it was a pleasant ride. We enjoyed a breakfast sandwich from a vendor and coffee together. She remembered somethings from when she worked downtown and she realized that riding in a car is very different from standing and waiting for public transportation. She actually had to use her gloves. Gasp!! :-O

So, I left her and returned to my court room to wait to be interviewed by the judge and the lawyers. I began to think about the person on trial and how if it were me, I would want to have the best people on the juror so that my trial would be as fair and impartial as possible, since my life might hang in the balance. I started resolving to the idea that I would actually be selected to serve on the jury. I was thinking of it as my civic duty and wanting to make sure the person on trial would have a fair chance. When it was finally my time to meet with the judge, I informed him that I did get paid. The judge let me know that the trial would not encroach upon my vacation time. I told the judge that that was satisfactory. The defense lawyer and the prosecution lawyer asked me questions. I answered them truthfully and then I was asked t wait outside for the decision of whether I was chosen or not as a juror for the case. Well, as it turns out, I was not chosen as a juror. I must say, I was relieved. I reported back to the juror waiting room to receive my "big balla" check for $18 (two days of service at $9 per day). The person at the desk was about to have me wait again to be selected, but then they realized I was a carry over from the previous day. I told the person that they were about to make my heart stop. I was definitely not trying to be there another day. The person printed my check and I was on my way!

I waited for my wife to be dismissed for lunch that day and we had lunch together at the Reading Terminal market. It was nice. There are a plethora of eateries in the Reading Terminal market. I haven't been there in some time. There is a good mix of eateries. They have "soul food", Thai food and Indian food. I hope to eat there again this week since my wife was picked for a case that might last until Friday.

Well, that is enough, I think, concerning my juror selection process. For those interested, the selection process is random based on voter registration and driver license records.

1 comment:

Ronald Peeler said...

Good read Bro-ham! If you still believe that you are not a writer or at least a great translator of events, then you are crazy! You writing is very fluid and takes me in and out of your Jury Duty experience. It was comical and sincere, especially the "mistimed" comments on the train! I can relate!